Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Monday, July 13, 2015

10 Things Children Taught Me

Working in child care as a teacher has taught me a lot. I’m not a parent, but I assume that a lot of the things I’ve learned as a teacher of young children are similar to those of parents. The moral of the story is that we are all getting old in the eyes of children, okay, there I said it. Below are 10 things I’ve learned about myself and about life by teaching and molding the tiny humans.

1. Life’s too short to be anything but happy. 
Why spend any minute of your life sad, unhappy, or otherwise distressed? Living a happy life is always in your control and if you feel that control slipping away you could always buy a yo-yo, or something incredibly simple to brighten your day. I mean c’mon, seriously I had a child’s WHOLE day turn around the other day because I bought him a dinosaur book. When is the last time something as simple as a little book made your day? If you can’t remember – you need to lighten up and lower your happiness expectations! ;)
2. The little things in life matter.
Now, this one goes both ways. Little things, like mentioned above can MAKE your day, but little things can also BREAK your day. The choice is entirely up to you.
3. You get what you get, and you don’t pitch a fit.
I find myself quoting this little witty saying quite often, but seriously as an adult I sometimes find myself throwing a hissy. I read a quote one time that said, worrying is a lot like rocking in a rocking chair, it gives you something to do for the moment but it doesn’t get you anywhere. I’ve learned that if the worrying, complaining, or otherwise being a Debbie Downer doesn’t help the situation it is better off left unsaid, or undone.
4. Love is not limited.
I’ve seen the most typical child love the most special needs child. I’ve seen a Caucasian kid and an African American be best friends. I’ve met straight kids who love kids who question their sexuality. I’ve seen the richest kid in class befriend and give to the poorest kid in class. Throughout my journey as an educator, I’ve met kids who have aided a child in need no matter their income, disability, race, gender, or sexuality. If all adults had the heart of children we would be much better off.

5. Any opportunity to get messy is a good one.
Yeah, you’ll have to clean it up but think of the memories you will make and the fun you will have doing it. Live a little, go make a mess.
6. Trying new things is weird, sometimes difficult, but it’s also awesome.
Guess what! If you try something and you don’t like it, you’ll know that at least you tried. I’ve heard kids whine about new or weird foods. I’ve also seen those same kids TRY it and love it. I’ve also seen them try it and hate it! BUT – at least they tried. I’ve learned that if you never try anything new you’ll never know what you’re missing out on.

7. It’s okay to have emotions.
At any age, at any time it’s okay to have feelings, and it’s okay to express them. I’ve learned that the tiny humans are just like us and they have bad days, and they have good days it’s all about how you/they address their emotions. In this case, I’ve learned to tell my kids how I’m feeling, and to also help them to express their own emotions.
8. Smiling. Smiling is my favorite.
This is almost self-explanatory. I dare you to hang out with kids and to NOT smile. Spoiler alert: it ain’t gonna happen! Because it’s true what they say, kids say the darndest things.
9. Corny jokes are the best.
When was the last time you told a knock-knock-joke? If you can’t remember – go to Google right now and find the corniest, most ridiculous knock-knock-joke and tell it to all your friends tomorrow. I mean seriously, when did we become so “grown up” we couldn’t lighten the mood with a little knock-knock-joke?
10. No matter how old you are there is always something new to learn.
This is probably the biggest thing that I’ve learned working with the tiny humans. Mainly because most children find themselves asking “why” to questions I don’t know the answer to more often than I would like to admit. Would I like to know all the answers, yes. Do I? Absolutely not! So, I find that no matter how old you are there is a whole world of information you don’t know, so go find it!

Basically, this blog is a challenge to all of the adults out there to find their inner child. Smile a little bit, brush off the petty stuff and for goodness sake color in a coloring book or something!

Until next Monday,
Sam Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment