Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Sunday, November 17, 2013

An easy way to teach engineering at home or in the classroom

The new buzz word in education is STEM.  STEM stands for "Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math".   Parents and even most educators are afraid of the word and how to truly implement it.  I must admit that I have struggled with the engineering piece of STEM.  However, the other night while surfing the internet, I found an article with pictures about making an inventors box for your child, and it came to me; this is what the engineering part  of STEM should look like.

As a mother of five children and four of them being boys, this was a regular practice in our home.  Our children were always taking things apart to see how it worked.  I must admit that there were times that I wanted to scream because of the small nuts, bolts, and screws laying around.  Then I began to wonder how many parents allow this today.  Is this why the writer of the article talked about putting together inventor boxes?


Don't get me wrong, it is a great idea, especially if you are not currently allowing your child to do this and an even better idea if you are a classroom teacher.  For some parents, this is just a natural part of their children growing up, but for those who it is not; here's an idea for you!

Blessings, Norma Honeycutt, Director


No comments:

Post a Comment